The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.

May 17, 2010 at 3:00 PM

At step 8 in the configuration document, I am getting the following error message in SharePoint after clicking the Activate button:

I am signed in a the service administration account and all of the other steps appear to have processed successfully.

Coordinator
May 18, 2010 at 2:51 PM
The account must be missing some permission somewhere... most likely the account isn't configured as a process account in the instance's SSP.
May 18, 2010 at 3:00 PM

The account is in the SSP's Process accounts list.  Still getting the error message.  Other ideas?

May 18, 2010 at 6:29 PM

I think I found the issue.  According to the documentation for the stsadm command:

If the useintegratedauth parameter is set to false, then the dbuser and dbpass parameters are ignored.
However, if the useintegratedauth parameter is set to true, then the dbuser and dbpass parameters are required.

This should actually be the opposite.  If the useintegratedauth is set to true, then the command processes successfully and the dbuser and dbpass fields are not required.  However, if I set the command to false, then the system errors and brings up the help screen.

I set the command to true, but I am still getting The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled, so there is something else wrong here.  I wish I could use this application, but it does not work for me.

Coordinator
May 19, 2010 at 3:05 PM
I'll correct the stsadm command's help output; my apologies. An HTTP Status 401 is an error from a web service, not a database error. You must not have permission somewhere. Is the SSP account configured as a user with membership in the Administrators group in Project Server?
Coordinator
May 19, 2010 at 3:10 PM
Is the SSP account the same one that is used as the identity for the app pools and the events/timer service?
May 19, 2010 at 3:15 PM
Edited May 19, 2010 at 3:20 PM

The SSP account is configured as a user with membership in the Administrators group in Project Server.  I even signed in as this user account in order to attempt to start the feature, but it still does not start.

No, the SSP account IS NOT the same one that is used as the identity for the app pools and the events/timer service.  We have a dedicated account for the farm and the timer server (svc_farmservice) and we have a seperate account for the SSP service (svc_sppservice).

Coordinator
May 20, 2010 at 2:53 AM
jschuchart wrote:

The SSP account is configured as a user with membership in the Administrators group in Project Server.  I even signed in as this user account in order to attempt to start the feature, but it still does not start.

No, the SSP account IS NOT the same one that is used as the identity for the app pools and the events/timer service.  We have a dedicated account for the farm and the timer server (svc_farmservice) and we have a seperate account for the SSP service (svc_sppservice).

Ah... I think that may be the problem, then. In your configuration, svc_farmservice falls under this section of the documentation:

• The identity account(s) for the Microsoft Office Project Server Events Service and the Windows SharePoint Services Timer service must have the following permissions:
    • Local Administrator
      • The account must be a member of the Administrators group on the server where running AutoStatusPlus.
    • Project Server Administrator
      • The account(s) must be a member of the Administrators group of all Project Server instance(s) where running AutoStatusPlus.
    • Shared Service Provider(s) Process Account
      • The account(s) must have Process Account access to the Shared Service Provider(s) serving the desired instance(s) of Project Server.
    • db_owner in Project Server Reporting Database(s)
      • The account(s) must be able to create and delete tables, stored procedures, and other SQL objects.

So, try giving svc_farmservice all of those things and see if that fixes it.

May 20, 2010 at 1:12 PM

I double checked and both accounts (svc_sppservice and svc_farmservice) have local admin rights, are admins in Project Server, have SSP Process Account access, and are owners of the reporting database.

Still stumped!

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:24 PM

I am also receiving the

when activating the  AutoStatusPlus 1.0.2.0 (Sep 02 2010)

Permissions all seem to be fine - any ideas?

EventID9681

2 Servers Web & App

Thank you

Coordinator
Oct 28, 2010 at 4:18 PM
jaxrocky wrote:

I am also receiving the

when activating the  AutoStatusPlus 1.0.2.0 (Sep 02 2010)

Permissions all seem to be fine - any ideas?

EventID9681

2 Servers Web & App

Thank you

There's an obscure issue that I've seen pop up a few times... is the account you are logged in as when trying to activate set up as a Farm Administrator, and do you also have EXECUTE permissions in the Config DB?

If not, can you try logging into the server as the farm admin account and activating from there?